Sorry, we don't have any items available online right now. Please check with the following galleries to purchase:
- Quiller Gallery in Creede
- La Tierra Mineral Gallery in Taos
- Millicent Rogers Museum in Taos
- Rowe Gallery in Sedona
Custom Horsehair Jewelry Crafted From Your Horse's Hair
Any of the designs presented in our Stock Design Catalog can be crafted from your own horse’s hair to create a unique and lasting keepsake. Because custom hair pieces are extremely time consuming (each hair is counted, quality checked and cleaned before braiding), add 20% to stock prices for tail hair, and 30% for pulled ‘wads’ or main hair. Please allow 12 weeks for custom orders.
Instructions for Collecting Horsehair
- Pick the longest hairs at the bottom of the tail.
- While lifting them to the side with one hand, pull the shorter hairs away with the other hand.
- Pull away as many short hairs as possible so that you are cutting only the long hairs
- Cut close to the tail bone.
- Cut 2-4 bunches from different places on the tail so as not to take too big a chunk out of one place.
- The final bundle should be about a 1/4” (about a pencil or little finger) in diameter.
- If you wash the hair, make sure it is completely dry before putting it in a zip-lock bag. Clearly print your name and phone number on the bag with a permanent marker.