Any of the designs presented in our Stock Design Catalog can be crafted from your own horse’s hair to create a unique and lasting keepsake. Because custom hair pieces are extremely time consuming (each hair is counted, quality checked and cleaned before braiding), add 20% to stock prices for tail hair, and 30% for pulled ‘wads’ or main hair. Please allow 12 weeks for custom orders.
Instructions for Collecting Horsehair
- Pick the longest hairs at the bottom of the tail.
- While lifting them to the side with one hand, pull the shorter hairs away with the other hand.
- Pull away as many short hairs as possible so that you are cutting only the long hairs
- Cut close to the tail bone.
- Cut 2-4 bunches from different places on the tail so as not to take too big a chunk out of one place.
- The final bundle should be about a 1/4” (about a pencil or little finger) in diameter.
- If you wash the hair, make sure it is completely dry before putting it in a zip-lock bag. Clearly print your name and phone number on the bag with a permanent marker.
View our Stock Design Catalog